Today in Maths we had to order some numbers that we made yesterday.
1. To order numbers the first thing you have to do is you have to check what the highest place value is, for example the highest place value for the number 2,345 is thousands, but the number 657 has a highest place value of hundreds.
2. Next you have to look at the highest place value first. So if you have thousands, you have to check how many thousands.
4,801 and 2,016
When comparing these two numbers, one has a 4 in the thousands and the other has a 2, so 4,801 must be bigger.
3. If the numbers in the thousands are the same, you have to look at the hundreds.
5,309 and 5,729
Both numbers had a 5 in the thousands, but one has 3 hundreds and the other has 7 hundreds. So that means that 5,729 is bigger.
4. If both the thousands and the hundreds are the same, we look at the tens.
8,732 and 8,710
Both numbers had a 8 in the thousands and a 7 in the hundreds, but one has 1 ten and the other has 3 tens. So 8,732 is the bigger number.
5. If the thousands, hundreds and tens are the same, we check the ones.
6,234 and 6,239
Both numbers have 6 thousands, 2 hundreds, and 3 tens, but one has 9 ones and the other number has 4 ones. So 6,239 is the bigger number.
Here’s a video of the number line we made with our numbers!